| Shakkar Para Shakkar Pare Recipe |
Mildly sweet and crunchy deep fried bits. A snack for evening or to munch for no reason at all. Shakkar Para Shakkar Pare is a sweet very famous in wedding sweets. Has a good shelf life. So you can make it and store it for Diwali or before guests are expected.
Maida- 2 cup or 1/2 kg
Sugar- 1 cup or 1/4 kg
Salt- 1/4 tea spoon
Baking Powder-1 table spoon
Oil- to fry
For making Shakkar para:
- Sieve maida in the open plate. Add salt and baking powder to the maida and mix well. Now add 1/2 cup (approx. 10 table spoons) of oil to the dry ingredients. Rub with hands to mix oil in all the maida.
- Knead the maida dough by adding little water at a time. Dough should be hard as it gets softer later.
- Cover the dough with cotton cloth and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Knead the dough again for a while to give it a smooth texture and divide it into 2 to 3 batches.
- Take one batch of dough and roll it using rolling pin to make a thick big size chapatti. Fold the chapatti from left and right sides and then from other top and bottom. This gives beautiful layers to the shakkar paras.
- Now roll it again to spread the dough in square shape to get thick layer of dough. Layer should not be very thick or very thin. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough layer into small squares.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan or a karahi. Once the oil is heated, test it so that it should not be very cold or very hot.
- Now slowly add shakkar paras into the oil for frying. Fry at low medium flame from both sides.
- When fried, drain on a paper to remove extra oil. Similarly fry all the shakkar paras in batches.
- Meanwhile you can start preparing sugar syrup for dipping the shakkar pare.
For making sugar syrup:
- Heat a deep pan. Add sugar and water to make syrup.
- Let it boil at high flame until sugar dissolves completely and then slow down the flame. Cook the syrup at simmer flame.
- Syrup should be of 2 thread consistency. For checking the consistency, take little syrup in a spoon and let it come to room temperature. Now take the syrup in your finger and press with thumb. Taking the thumb away should give two thread strands.
- Close the flame and add the fried shakkar paras to the syrup and mix quickly. Transfer the shakkar paras to a plate and allow it to come to the room temperature. Sugar syrup crystallizes very fast, so be quick in this process.
- Shakkar Para or Shakkar Pare is ready for your festive mood. You can just serve it or store in an air tight container for later use.